The Blackwell significant other to significant modern Social Theorists is a survey of up to date social conception that specializes in the thinkers themselves. In unique essays in particular commissioned for this quantity, major specialists and practitioners research the lifestyles and paintings of thirteen significant theorists comparable to Elias, Baudrillard, Giddens, and Butler.
- Includes thirteen unique essays via best students on significant modern social theorists.
- Covers key figures akin to Elias, Goffman, Foucault, Habermas, Giddens, Bourdieu, and Butler.
- Essays comprise biographical sketches, the social and highbrow context, and the influence of the thinker's paintings on social thought generally.
- Includes bibliographies of the theorist's most crucial works in addition to key secondary works.
- Can be utilized in conjunction with The Blackwell spouse to significant Classical Social Theorists, edited by means of George Ritzer, for a whole reference resource in social theory.
Quick preview of The Blackwell Companion to Major Contemporary Social Theorists PDF
Best Political Theory books
Within the Rehnquist court docket and the structure, Tinsley Yarbrough offers a finished examine ultra-modern splendid court docket Justices and their record--a learn the entire extra precious for the Court's combined judgements and hard-to-categorize direction. An entire biographer, Yarbrough deals incisive photos of the 9 who now take a seat at the excessive bench, and tellingly stories their nomination hearings.
From the floor breaking felony judgements on homosexual marriage to the promoting of marriage for low-income households, the "sacred establishment" of marriage has become a public battleground. Who could be allowed to marry and is marriage a public or deepest act? may still marriage be deserted thoroughly? Or should still marriage be redefined as a civil establishment that promotes sexual and racial equality?
This very important new liberal account of multiculturalism combines an research of the coverage dilemmas confronted via multiethnic states all over the world with a philosophical attention of multiculturalism and nationalism. Jacob T. Levy boldly argues that liberalism shouldn't be centrally keen on both holding or transcending cultural groups, practices, and identities.
This ebook is the 1st accomplished examine of Rousseau's wealthy and intricate concept of the kind of self-love (amour propre ) that, for him, marks the vital distinction among people and the beasts. Amour propre is the fervour that drives human contributors to hunt the esteem, approval, admiration, or love--the acceptance --of their fellow beings.
- Ethics and International Affairs: A Reader (3rd Edition)
- Blood: A Critique of Christianity (Religion, Culture, and Public Life)
- Anarchism and Syndicalism in the Colonial and Postcolonial World, 1870-1940 (Studies in Global Social History)
- Totalled: Salvaging the Future from the Wreckage of Capitalism
- Marx After Marx: History and Time in the Expansion of Capitalism
- Abandoned to Ourselves: Being an Essay on the Emergence and Implications of Sociology in the Writings of Mr. Jean-Jacques Rousseau...
Extra info for The Blackwell Companion to Major Contemporary Social Theorists